If you want a plan that provides the most extensive coverage, Medicare Supplement Plan F may be the right plan for you. Only applicants first eligible for Medicare before 2020 may purchase Plans F and High-deductible F. Medicare Supplement Plan F offers more benefits than any other Medicare Supplement Plan. It covers:
- Medicare Part B excess charges (at 100%)
- Hospitalization copayments and coinsurance
- Hospitalization benefits for 365 additional days after Original Medicare benefits end
- The first three pints of blood you receive from a blood bank each year
- Other medical expenses for Medicare-approved services/supplies
- Up to 100 days of coverage for skilled nursing facilities
- Benefits for emergency medical care while traveling abroad
- Coverage for your Original Medicare (Part A and Part B) deductibles
Coverage for Medicare Part B Excess Charges
Original Medicare determines reasonable costs for all medical services. Some doctors accept Medicare assignment, which means they accept the amount Original Medicare approves as payment in full. Sometimes, doctors charge more than the amount that Original Medicare approves. This leaves you paying higher out-of-pocket costs, known as Medicare Part B excess charges. Medicare Supplement Plan F covers excess charges at 100%.
Medicare Supplement Plan F covers semi-private room and board, general nursing and miscellaneous services and supplies. Here’s an example of how this plan works with Original Medicare to help pay for your hospitalization stay.
- First 60 days of hospitalization – Original Medicare pays all of your costs except your $1,484 deductible.
- Days 61 to 90 – Plan F covers $371 a day.
- Day 91 through 60 lifetime reserve days* – Plan F covers $742 a day.
- Up to 365 additional days (after day 91 through 60 lifetime reserve days) – Original Medicare does not pay any of your costs. Plan F covers 100% of your Medicare-eligible expenses.
*After 90 days of staying in a hospital, Original Medicare provides 60 lifetime reserve days. During these 60 days, Original Medicare pays all of your covered costs (except for your daily coinsurance). Lifetime reserve days can only be used once. When you run out of them, Original Medicare will not renew them.
Hospice Care Benefits
To qualify for hospice care coverage, you must meet Medicare’s requirements, including a doctor’s certification of terminal illness.
Original Medicare pays for most of your hospice care costs except for some copayments and/or coinsurance for outpatient drugs and inpatient respite care. Medicare Supplement Plan F covers these expenses.
Coverage for Medical Expenses
Medicare Supplement Plan F also helps you pay for some medical expenses. These costs include your Medicare Part B coinsurance (which is usually 20% of your overall Medicare-approved amount) and copayments for outpatient hospital services. Covered medical expenses include:
- Physician services
- Inpatient medical/surgical services and supplies
- Outpatient medical/surgical services and supplies
- Physical therapy
- Speech therapy
- Diagnostic tests
- Durable medical equipment
Coverage for Skilled Nursing Facility Care
Original Medicare covers skilled nursing facility care if you have been in a hospital for at least three days and enter a Medicare-approved facility within 30 days of your hospital discharge. Here’s an example of how Original Medicare and Medicare Supplement Plan F work together to pay for skilled nursing facility care:
- First 20 days of skilled nursing care – Original Medicare covers all approved amounts.
- Day 21 through 100 – Medicare covers your costs except for $185.50 a day. Plan F covers the $185.50 a day.
- Day 101 and beyond – Original Medicare and Medicare Supplement Plan F don’t cover these expenses. You will be responsible for paying 100% of the costs.
Foreign Travel Emergency Medical Care Benefits
If you need medical care while traveling outside of the United States, Original Medicare won’t cover these costs. Plan F covers 80% of the costs for any medically necessary emergency care services during the first 60 days of each trip you take. You will also have a $250 deductible and a $50,000 lifetime maximum.
High-deductible Plan F
Some health insurers, including Medical Mutual, offer a High-deductible Plan F. This plan includes the same benefits as a normal Plan F but has a higher deductible ($2,370 in 2021).
You will have lower monthly premiums with a high-deductible plan, but you have to pay 100% of your expenses (up to $2,370) before Plan F starts paying. Please note: only applicants first eligible for Medicare before 2020 may purchase Plan F.
Get a Quote
Have Questions? We Can Help.
Speak with a Medical Mutual licensed insurance agent or call your insurance agent.
Call 1-866-406-8777 (TTY 711 for hearing impaired)
Mon. - Fri. 7 a.m. to 9 p.m., Sat.-Sun. 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Page last updated on 10/1/2021
You can talk to a Medical Mutual licensed insurance agent who can answer your questions by calling (866) 406-8777 (hearing impaired TTY/TDD: 711) or call your insurance agent. You can also visit Medicare.gov for more information.
This site contains a summary of benefits only describing our policies’ most important features. It is not an insurance policy or contract. The Medical Mutual Medicare Supplement Insurance policy is the insurance contract. If there is any different between this site and the policy, the provisions of the policy will control.
Neither Medical Mutual nor any of its agents or Medicare Supplement insurance plans are connected with or endorsed by the U.S. or state government, Social Security or federal Medicare program. Individuals who call the phone number listed will speak with a licensed insurance agent.
The policy has exclusions, limitations, reduction of benefits and terms under which the policy may be continued in force or discontinued. For costs and complete details of the coverage, call or write your insurance agent or Medical Mutual.
Medicare Supplement products marketed by Medical Mutual may be underwritten by Medical Mutual of Ohio and/or one of its subsidiaries, Medical Health Insuring Corporation of Ohio collectively referred to as Medical Mutual. Contact will be made by a licensed insurance agent or insurer. The amount of benefits provided depends upon the plan selected and the premium will vary with the amount of the benefits selected. Medical Mutual is a registered trademark of Medical Mutual of Ohio.
SilverSneakers® is a registered trademark of Tivity Health, Inc.